Karen Ann Ulmer, P.C.
Call for a Confidential Consultation
P 215-752-6200 | F 215-752-6202

Name Change

Adults seeking to legally change their name will need to file a petition with the court. In addition to completing the petition, the party should be prepared to pay a filing fee directly to court at the time of filing as well as supply a copy of their fingerprints. Fingerprinting can be done by the local police department where the filing party resides. The purpose of the fingerprinting is to allow for analysis of any criminal background, if applicable. The name change statute does not allow a change of name if certain crimes have been committed. A search through the Prothonotary's office and Recorder of Deeds will also need to be done prior to a successful name change to ensure there are no other concerns which may bar the application for a name change.

Another requirement prior to obtaining a name change is to publish notice of the petition and hearing date. Generally notice must be published in the law reporter for the county as well as a newspaper of general circulation. This is to notify anyone who may have an objection to the name change and grant them the opportunity to appear in court and state their objections. The total fees can be in the range upwards of $500 excluding attorney fees if representation is desired.

In the case of a minor child, service must be made on the other parent if there whereabouts are known. Otherwise, notice may be accomplished solely by the publication that is already required but permission of the court should be sought to skip specific service on the other parent. If both parents are in agreement with a name change to a minor, the simpler option is to request a correction to the birth certificate through vital records rather than foot the expense to file a petition and seek a hearing. Fingerprinting and other background checks are not required if a name change for a minor must be sought through the court due to lack of contact with the other parent or lack of mutual agreement on the desired change. 

Click here to read more on Name Change.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email us for response

Do You Need Answers?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Firm Locations

Langhorne Office
174 Middletown Blvd
Langhorne, PA 19047

Phone: 215-752-6200
Fax: 215-752-6202
Langhorne Law Office Map

Doylestown Office
196 West Ashland Street
Doylestown, PA 18901

Phone: 215-348-3800
Fax: 215-752-6202
Map & Directions

King of Prussia Office
630 Freedom Business Center
3rd Floor
King of Prussia, PA 19406

Phone: 484-704-2100
Fax: 215-752-6202
Map & Directions

Jenkintown Office
610 Old York Road
Suite 400
Jenkintown, PA 19046

Phone: 267-636-0100
Fax: 215-752-6202
Map & Directions