Karen Ann Ulmer, P.C.
Call for a Confidential Consultation
P 215-752-6200 | F 215-752-6202

Changing the Locks during a divorce

Sometimes the first action in a separation or divorce is when a spouse moves out. When a spouse moves out of the house, oftentimes the spouse who remains changes the locks. This is something that you can do, however, it is not always assurance that they will not get back into the home unless their exit was the result of a Protection from Abuse. Until you have an exclusive possession order signed by a Judge during your divorce, a spouse could legally gain entry to the home by breaking a window or any other method. In order to get an exclusive possession order, you would have to file a Petition for Special Relief and ask that Court to enter an order while the divorce is pending to award you the home. If your spouse left and has another residence that he/she has established, it is very probable that the court will award you the right to live in the home and your spouse will not be allowed in at that point without your consent. Once you have that Order from the Court, you can be assured that a violation of that Order will result in Contempt of Court. If you are the spouse who left, until that Order is entered by the Court, you can usually move back into the house if you change your mind. Getting an Order in place is something to consider to eliminate unexpected surprises. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email us for response

Do You Need Answers?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Firm Locations

Langhorne Office
174 Middletown Blvd
Langhorne, PA 19047

Toll Free: 866-567-9029
Phone: 215-752-6200
Fax: 215-752-6202
Langhorne Law Office Map

Doylestown Office
196 West Ashland Street
Doylestown, PA 18901

Toll Free: 866-567-9029
Phone: 215-348-3800
Fax: 215-752-6202
Map & Directions

King of Prussia Office
630 Freedom Business Center
3rd Floor
King of Prussia, PA 19406

Toll Free: 866-567-9029
Phone: 484-704-2100
Fax: 215-752-6202
Map & Directions

Jenkintown Office
610 Old York Road
Suite 400
Jenkintown, PA 19046

Toll Free: 866-567-9029
Phone: 267-636-0100
Fax: 215-752-6202
Map & Directions