Karen Ann Ulmer, P.C.
Legal & Mediation Services
“Calming the Chaos, Creating Solutions”
Call for a Confidential Consultation
866-567-9029 or 215-752-6200
Practice Areas
Watch our Video

Landlord and Tenant Act of 1951

Landlord/Tenant matters are governed by the Landlord and Tenant Act of 1951. A copy of the act may be found at http://www.parealtor.org/clientuploads/Legal/Statutes/Landlord-TenantAct.pdf .

In most counties in Pennsylvania, evictions are heard before the local Magisterial District Judge where the residence is located. The court will be scheduled between 5 and 15 days from the date of filing the complaint. In Philadelphia County, evictions are hearing in Municipal Court before a Municipal Court Judge.

If either party appeals from the Magisterial District Judge or Municipal Court ruling, then the hearing is transferred to the Court of Common Pleas in the county where the property and lower court are both located. To appeal an eviction, you must file the appeal and a document called a supersedeas within 10 days of the judgment. To appeal the monetary judgment only (i.e. past due arrears, legal fees, expenses, etc.), you have 30 days from the date of judgment. However, if the Judge granted eviction and you fail to file for a supersedeas (either because you don't have the filing fees or you missed the 10 day deadline), you will still be evicted.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Avvo Rating
  • 10.0 Superb
  • 2014 top 100 lawyers ASLA
  • Overall Client Rating in Family Law - 4.8 out of 5.0

Office Locations

Langhorne Office
174 Middletown Boulevard
Suite 300
Langhorne, PA 19047

Phone: 215-752-6200
Fax: 215-752-6202
Langhorne Law Office Map

Doylestown Office
44 East Court Street
Doylestown, PA 18901

Phone: 215-348-3800
Fax: 215-752-6202
Doylestown Law Office Map

Norristown Office
516 DeKalb Street
2nd Floor
Norristown, PA 19401

Phone: 215-752-6200
Fax: 215-752-6202
Map & Directions