Karen Ann Ulmer, P.C.
Call for a Confidential Consultation
P 215-752-6200 | F 215-752-6202
As a result of the COVID-19 virus, we have closed our physical offices to protect the health and safety of our clients, staff, and business partners. We remain open and actively working (remotely) for both our current clients and those who may come to need our services. Please feel free to call our main office line at 215-752-6200

My spouse left me, why do I now have to pay the mortgage?

If you are getting a divorce in Pennsylvania, oftentimes the court will require the occupant of the marital home to pay the mortgage. It does not matter whose name is on the mortgage. The theory behind requiring the occupant to pay the mortgage is that only that person is receiving a benefit for use of the home. Consider it fair rental value. The court will normally impose a support obligation on the spouse to pay you if they earn more and you have been married for at least a few years. If you have children with your spouse, you can seek a mortgage contribution as part of child support if they children remain the home with you. The mortgage contribution, however, is never going to be equal to the mortgage, nor is it even half of the mortgage. In some cases, you will not even get a mortgage contribution if your income and the child support amount do not mathematically warrant it. It is also in the discretion of the Judge whether to even award it. If you cannot afford to pay the mortgage between the income you have and the support you receive from your spouse, it may be time to consider selling the home. If you fail to pay the mortgage while living in the house during a divorce, the Court can intervene and order it sold. It is a good idea if you are separating to consult an attorney who can assist you by figuring out approximately how much you can expect to receive. This not only helps in deciding if you can afford to stay in your home during a divorce but will also help you decide how much you can afford to live elsewhere if you have to move. The attorney can also provide you with the documented expectation of support in order to help you secure a rental if your income does not support it alone. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email us for response

Do You Need Answers?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Firm Locations

Langhorne Office
174 Middletown Blvd
Langhorne, PA 19047

Toll Free: 866-567-9029
Phone: 215-752-6200
Fax: 215-752-6202
Langhorne Law Office Map

Doylestown Office
196 West Ashland Street
Doylestown, PA 18901

Toll Free: 866-567-9029
Phone: 215-348-3800
Fax: 215-752-6202
Map & Directions

King of Prussia Office
630 Freedom Business Center
3rd Floor
King of Prussia, PA 19406

Toll Free: 866-567-9029
Phone: 484-704-2100
Fax: 215-752-6202
Map & Directions

Jenkintown Office
610 Old York Road
Suite 400
Jenkintown, PA 19046

Toll Free: 866-567-9029
Phone: 267-636-0100
Fax: 215-752-6202
Map & Directions