Karen Ann Ulmer, P.C.
Legal & Mediation Services
“Calming the Chaos, Creating Solutions”
Call for a Confidential Consultation
866-567-9029 or 215-752-6200
Practice Areas
Watch our Video

Who Pays What During a Divorce

Child Support: The party who does not have the majority of time pays child support or if the parties have equal custody time usually based on overnights, the party who earns more pays child support.

Spousal Support/Alimony: Paid by the party who earns more income

Mortgage/household bills: Paid by the party who remains in the home

Car Payment: Paid by the party who uses the car

Car Insurance: Paid by the party who uses the car

Medical Insurance: Paid by the party who carries the insurance and allocated during child support and spousal support in proportion to incomes

Home Equity Loan: Depends on what the loan was used for. May require a special relief action.

Credit Card Bills: Responsibility of both parties for what accumulated during the marriage. Typically paid by party whose name it in to protect credit but any payments made after separation should be document for shared reimbursement.

Repairs to House: Routine repairs are paid by party using home. Repairs that increase value f home benefit both parties and any payments made post separation should be documented to seek a credit.

Taxes: Parties may choose to file jointly or separately. If file jointly, usually a joint expense.

College Tuition: Neither parent is responsible for college tuition for children and any payments are voluntary and not reimburseable.

Legal Fees: Each party is responsible to pay their own legal fees

Filing Fees: The party who files

Expert Witness Fees: The party who retains the expert

Business Valuation Costs: The party who seeks the valuation

Appraisal: The party who obtains the appraisal

Pension Valuation: The party who obtains the valuation 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Avvo Rating
  • 10.0 Superb
  • 2014 top 100 lawyers ASLA
  • Overall Client Rating in Family Law - 4.8 out of 5.0

Office Locations

Langhorne Office
174 Middletown Boulevard
Suite 300
Langhorne, PA 19047

Phone: 215-752-6200
Fax: 215-752-6202
Langhorne Law Office Map

Doylestown Office
44 East Court Street
Doylestown, PA 18901

Phone: 215-348-3800
Fax: 215-752-6202
Doylestown Law Office Map

Norristown Office
516 DeKalb Street
2nd Floor
Norristown, PA 19401

Phone: 215-752-6200
Fax: 215-752-6202
Map & Directions