Karen Ann Ulmer, P.C.
Legal & Mediation Services
“Calming the Chaos, Creating Solutions”
Call for a Confidential Consultation
866-567-9029 or 215-752-6200
Practice Areas
Watch our Video

Exclusive Possession and Divorce

Sometimes when a divorce is pending, a party may decide that they no longer wish to live in the marital residence. When a party moves out and establishes residence elsewhere, the party who remains in the home may seek and will usually always be granted an order for exclusive possession of the marital residence while the divorce is pending. This means that even if the house is owned in both names of the parties, only the party who is living in the house will be allowed in or on the property while the divorce is pending. If you are thinking of leaving your home and moving out, it is advisable to make sure that you have secured all of your possessions before you move as you could be prevented from re-entering the property. Until a court order is entered, however, if you left and decide to return unless there is an order preventing it, you can always return to the house. If your spouse leaves, you can change the locks, however, until you get a court order, they can break a window and legally gain access. You may want to either get a written stipulation for exclusive possession or a court order. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Avvo Rating
  • 10.0 Superb
  • 2014 top 100 lawyers ASLA
  • Overall Client Rating in Family Law - 4.8 out of 5.0

Office Locations

Langhorne Office
174 Middletown Boulevard
Suite 300
Langhorne, PA 19047

Phone: 215-752-6200
Fax: 215-752-6202
Langhorne Law Office Map

Doylestown Office
44 East Court Street
Doylestown, PA 18901

Phone: 215-348-3800
Fax: 215-752-6202
Doylestown Law Office Map

Norristown Office
516 DeKalb Street
2nd Floor
Norristown, PA 19401

Phone: 215-752-6200
Fax: 215-752-6202
Map & Directions