x February 2017 Archives | Langhorne PA Family Law Attorney Blog
Karen Ann Ulmer, P.C.
Legal & Mediation Services
“Calming the Chaos, Creating Solutions”
Call for a Confidential Consultation
866-567-9029 or 215-752-6200
Practice Areas
Watch our Video

February 2017 Archives

Don't Point That Smoking Gun at Yourself: Hacking Your Spouse's Email is a Bad Idea

We've all seen too many courtroom dramas where just in the nick of time that critical piece of evidence is dramatically thrust into the hands of the defendant or waived around in front of the jury. Even attorneys sometimes fantasize about having those moments but litigation is normally pretty mundane. Parties and their attorneys would love to have that "smoking gun" evidence to hammer the other side with, but getting it may cost more than its worth.

Can Alimony be Reduced in Pennsylvania?

If you are paying or receiving alimony (or spousal support) that amount may not be set in stone. Either as part of an agreement between the divorcing spouses the two may agree that alimony payments reduce or cease over a period of time. That also may be part of a court order where the issue of alimony is decided by the judge.

Presumption of Parentage

A presumption of paternity arises where a child is born into an intact marriage. In that circumstance, absent clear and convincing evidence to the contrary, the husband will be deemed to be the father. However, it may be a scenario where the biological father is not the husband.

Support and Taxes

Many clients going through family law matters will have questions regarding how they can/should file their taxes as well as what tax consequences may arise in their situation. Child support is not taxable for either party. This means it is not deductible from the party paying child support or taxed as income to the party receiving it. On the other hand, alimony, support paid to a spouse, is deductible from the party paying alimony and taxed as income to the party receiving it. Mortgage interest can be claimed by only one party if there is a shared residence or split between the parties in proportion to their contribution towards the payments. Splitting mortgage interest would require a statement of explanation to be filed along with the return.

How to Help Your Child Cope With a Move

Divorce can bring about many changes and a common one is moving homes. Moving can be stressful for everyone in your family, especially your kids. They may not understand why you need to move. They may focus on the loss of friends, their school and the fact they may not see extended family members nearly as often. Counselingchildren.net has some suggestions for actions you can take to make the transition to a new home easier for your child.

  • Avvo Rating
  • 10.0 Superb
  • 2014 top 100 lawyers ASLA
  • Overall Client Rating in Family Law - 4.8 out of 5.0

Office Locations

Langhorne Office
174 Middletown Blvd
Langhorne, PA 19047

Phone: 215-752-6200
Fax: 215-752-6202
Langhorne Law Office Map

Doylestown Office
196 West Ashland Street
Doylestown, PA 18901

Phone: 215-348-3800
Fax: 215-752-6202
Map & Directions

King of Prussia Office
630 Freedom Business Center
3rd Floor
King of Prussia, PA 19406

Phone: 484-704-2100
Fax: 215-752-6202
Map & Directions

Jenkintown Office
610 Old York Road
Suite 400
Jenkintown, PA 19046

Phone: 267-636-0100
Fax: 215-752-6202
Map & Directions